An exchange student can be defined as a person doing a short/limited period of study abroad (in the framework of ongoing studies at the home institution). This mobility increases one’s linguistic and social skills and well as the maturity, confidence and self-esteem. Having an International experience has a positive impact in your future career and it’s a mind opened for an increasingly global world.


If you are interested to come for your exchange mobility period at the University of Sarajevo, make sure you do next steps:

  1. ask your home International Relations office for mobility possibilities to the University of Sarajevo (i.e. Erasmus+, CEEPUS, Mevlana, DAAD, Visegrad Fund, or if inter-institutional agreement between your home university and University of Sarajevo exists);
  2. check the academic offer of the University of Sarajevo (for additional information you can contact our faculty coordinator);
  3. apply to your home university call for mobility in accordance to the regulations;
  4. after your home university decides to nominate you, please prepare and send application documents.

Individual applications (before official nomination made by home university) are not acceptable.



Students interested in doing an Erasmus+ or other kind of mobility period for studies at the University of Sarajevo (UNSA) must apply via their home university and there must be an agreement between the home university and UNSA. To do an exchange you must be following studies at one of our partner institutions under the umbrella of an Inter-Institutional agreement (Erasmus+) or of a Cooperation Protocol. You will need to apply through your own Higher Education Institution irrespective of the kind of mobility activity you are interested in. The International Office of your Institution will be able to inform you about the conditions to participate, details of the selection criteria and documents needed.


Whether you are applying through program that is funded from European or some other international institution, or coming on your own expenses, you must be officially nominated by your home institution. Nomination is a process done through mostly email communication from your home coordinator who confirms that the student was selected by your institution to carry out a study period at UNSA. Your home university needs to send us candidates data (name, surname, study field, study cycle, email, and preferably learning agreement) by given deadlines. Applications received without the correspondent nomination will not be considered.


Applying through mobility programs such as Erasmus+, students can apply for the period of 1-2 semesters. Duration is usually determined in the mobility program public call.


Incoming students:

  • Winter semester (October – February)
    • If you are coming for the Winter semester (October-February) you should arrive at the end of September – before the Welcome week activities (at least one week before the starting of classes).
  • Summer semester (February – July)
    • If you are coming for the Summer semester (February-July) you should arrive by the beginning of February – before the Welcome week activities (at least one week before the starting of classes).

For exacts dates you should be notified by the welcome email, but also check the Academic calendar

At your arrival you should meet the International Relations officer – responsible person for incoming students in the corresponding organisational unit at UNSA. In order to schedule the time to receive you, as soon as possible, you must inform the international responsible colleague about the date and the time of your arriving in UNSA.

UNSA will have a Welcome day after the arrival of every students and you will be informed about it accordingly.


For Winter semester (September – February) / full academic year

  • Nomination done by your home International Relations office by 15 May 
  • Application documents sent by incoming student by 30 May 

For Summer semester (February – July)

  • Nomination done by your home International Relations office: 15 November 
  • Application documents sent by incoming student: 30 November


UNSA requires a scanned copy of a language certificate which proves the language level B1-B2 as agreed in the Inter-Institutional Agreement signed by partners institutions (according to the Common European Framework for Languages – see


It’s a form provided by the sending institution, which must be filled in by computer and properly signed and stamped by the home institution. All information about offered study programmes, courses and language of tuition are available at

Information about degrees and subjects must be given by the corresponding faculty coordinator at UNSA. All members/departments have a Departmental Coordinator which is the contact person for exchange students on all academic matters. They are assisted by the Central International Relations Office at UNSA headquarters and by extensions of this office in each member (see Contacts). The coordinator is the only person that can inform if the subjects are available or not to incoming students.

Students should be aware that some changes on the LA’s will have to be done upon their arrival to UNSA depending on the instructions of the coordinators and the schedule of each subject.

Changes to the previous Learning Agreement can be made within one month after arrival, after permission of both institutions: the sending and the receiving.


After official nomination from your home university, if we do not receive your documents in the nomination procedure, you will be contacted by our office to send needed documents by given deadlines (above). Instructions on how to prepare and fill in these documents are given here.

STUDENTS need to send next documents:
1 Learning Agreement
2 Transcript of records
3 Proof of knowledge of Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian or English language
4 CV (Europass form)

When you collect and fill in needed documents as explained in instructions, please send your documents to the following e-mails:,, by given deadlines (above).


After your official nomination and application, we will forward your profile with documents to the host institution of the University of Sarajevo to the responsible coordinators. They will bring decision based on the information provided in the application documents. You should receive your respond in duration of 4 weeks. You will be informed whether your application is accepted or declined. After we receive your application documents and your host department has approved your application, we will send you confirmation (below).


Documents that prove the acceptance of the students/staff at UNSA:

  • Acceptance letter – issued by UNSA proving that the student was accepted and which will be used for visa’s purposes (only if required);
  • Learning Agreement approved by UNSA – after signed and stamped by the Departmental Coordinator, Learning Agreement is sent by e-mail to the sending institution.

Make sure your check academic information – your obligations before, during and after mobility:


You can apply for student accommodation using the contact details at our Student dorm or to contact Erasmus Student Network for additional information. Private accommodation is also available through different webpages:



By plane:
International Airport Sarajevo is located in the city of Sarajevo, 12 km away from the center and offers variety of flight connections to this city (web: Note: there is bus line named Aerodrom – Baščaršija that connects Airport to the City center (time table). Additional transport would be a taxi. Estimated charge should be our 10-12 EURO. Be careful when taking a taxi, make sure driver has his/her taxi-meter on.

By train:
Train station is placed in the centre of the city, and further transport from the station to your accommodation place is by Tram (no.1) to the East and Tram (no.4) to the West).

By bus:
Bus station is placed in the centre of the city (same as train station), and further transport from the station to your accommodation place is by Tram (no.1) to the East and Tram (no.4) to the West).


As an exchange student/staff who will stay in Bosnia and Herzegovina longer than 90 days for academic/administrative purposes, you will need to regulate your residence permit in order not to have residence problems during your staying in Sarajevo. NoteCitizens of the European Union Member States do not require visa for entrance to Bosnia and Herzegovina. However, in order to stay in Bosnia and Herzegovina longer than three (3) months for academic/administrative purposes it is required to regulate your residence permit. Citizens of non-European countries need to check if they need student visa to enter Bosnia and Herzegovina with the embassy of Bosnia and Herzegovina in their home countries. For regulating residence permit, you will need to collect certain documents, while bringing one from your home – proof of non criminal record. Please check the instructions here.


After your arrival, you will be instructed what are you obligations regarding the enrollment.



UNSA organizes a Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian Language Course for international students in each semester. This course will be held to all students who are doing an international mobility at UNSA. Course is organized based on the expressed interest by incoming students. All the interested students will be informed about the registration procedure and specific information about this course (such as price, number of credits, …) in the beginning of each semester (after the arrival to UNSA).



Insurance is not provided at the University of Sarajevo, therefore student/staff should provide their own insurance during their mobility in Sarajevo. more about health support system is given here.


Sarajevo has a section of the ESN – Erasmus Student Network, which collaborates directly with the University of Sarajevo.

If you want to know more about this Association and the support that they can provide to international students, you should contact:


The Buddy helps with practical matters when settling in and as a contact during the exchange period. The Buddy can also meet the exchange students upon their arrival in Sarajevo. The Buddy works on a voluntary basis. If you want a Buddy, you can ask for it contacting ESN (see contacts  in “ESN – Erasmus Student Network”) – above.


Students that need a special assistance, please contact the UNSA’s International Relations Office and the international responsible person for incoming students in the member institution in which students are going to study. It is important that the student or the sending institution contact the UNSA before your arrival and in time in order to do the necessary arrangements.


Before returning home you need to have the following documents:

  • Confirmation of departure– issued by UNSA with the respective mobility dates proving that the student completed the mobility program. It’s given to the student the day before leaving from UNSA;
  • Transcript of records / Grade Certificate – issued by UNSA with the marks obtained which will formalize the academic recognition at the home institution. Every student is entitled to an official Transcript of Records after having completed his studies in UNSA. The Transcript of Records will be send directly to the International Office of the sending institution;
  • Final report – must be filled before the student returns their home country and signed by departmental and institutional host coordinator.

More about obligation before, during and after mobility are given at:


More information on student support and service can be found here.